SCAM Alert in Aiken Area
AIKEN, SC - The Aiken Department of Public Safety and the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office have been made aware of a phone scam being used in the Aiken area. The callers will represent themselves as local law enforcement officials, and inform the victim that they have missed jury duty, or have outstanding fines, and that there is a warrant for their arrest. The victims are then told that they can avoid arrest if they obtain a Green Dot Money-Pak card to pay the fine. The victims are given a phone number to call once they have obtained the card. Once they have obtained the Green Dot card the victims are told to call back with the card number and PIN number.
Legitimate fines and fees should be paid in person or mailed directly to the appropriate law enforcement agency. When in doubt, contact the agency directly using official agency phone numbers.
We offer the following tips to avoid becoming a victim of this scam:
- Be suspicious of callers who demand immediate payment for any reason
- Never give out personal information to anyone who emails or calls you unsolicited
- Never wire money, provide debit or credit card numbers or Green Dot Money-Pak card numbers to someone you do not know
- Law enforcement agencies, utility companies, and government agencies will not contact you demanding immediate payment by Money-Pak
- Remember that anyone who has the number on a Green Dot Money-Pak card has access to the funds on the card
- If you receive a call of this nature contact your local law enforcement agency.
The Aiken Department of Public Safety can be reached at (803) 642-7620. The Aiken County Sheriff’s
Office can be reached at (803) 648-6811
If you, or someone you know, have any information regarding any crime, you are encouraged to contact Crimestoppers. You could earn a reward up to $1,000.
Anonymous tips can be submitted to Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC. Texters can send anonymous tips to CRIMES (274637), and mark the beginning of the message with "TIPSC". Text STOP to 274637 to cancel. Text HELP to 274637 for help. Msg&Data Rates May Apply.
DO NOT attempt to approach, detain, follow or arrest any individual based on this web site's information. As information becomes dated it may become less accurate. Because some wanted persons are being sought for crimes of violence, or are known to be armed, all wanted persons should be considered dangerous. If you have information regarding the identity or whereabouts of any wanted person immediately contact Crime Stoppers or notify your local law enforcement agency.Site Design & Maintenance:
© Copyright Midlands Crimestoppers. All Rights Reserved.